Thursday, November 19, 2009

the butterfly effect ❀































❆ i was dragged from the depths of my nightmare this morning by the telephone ringing. a representative from moviestar (vodafone's competition in spain) began in his cheeriest voice to try to persuade me to switch providers. before i could wake up properly, i found myself screaming in sleepy, broken spanish 'I'M NOT INTERESTED!!! YOU CALL ME EVERY DAY AND EVERY DAY I TELL YOU I'M NOT INTERESTED!! TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!' .....

i normally wouldn't have gotten so angry, its just that its the third day in a row that they've called and he woke me up! i should have had some sympathy for the poor guy who just needed a job and probably gets paid on commission. my first job while at university was doing telesales and i quit after a month because it made me feel so negative- being cursed, sworn and screamed at every five minutes takes its toll! but then i discovered i could have much more fun and make much more money, in the form of tips, working in the bar industry. maybe me screaming at that guy was the last straw and the kick up the arse he needed to go and find a better career.... i probably did him a favour!

i went for my morning run up and around the hill to the exclusive golf course called the 'millionaires club' that looks out over the valley of nueva andalusia, spotted with white-washed spanish villas, orange trees and purple bougainvillea.
it was a fresh morning, raining slightly, but still warm and i was enjoying my run, although becoming slightly more irritated for each sleaze-bag that drove past whistling out some filthy, depraved thing.

the sixth idiot drove slowly past me and pulled up outside the main gates of the golf club, 20 metres ahead. i couldn't be sure if he was a legitimate 'millionaire member' or if he was just waiting there to give me some cheek. fed up with bullshit, i decided to just turn around and head home. five seconds later, i heard the startling sound of screeching tyres. i turned to see a car skid across the wet road and smash directly into the side of the waiting car, right where i would've been walking if i'd not turned back. three more cars screeched to a halt to avoid the collision.

it wasn't a bad crash, but as i continued my run homeward, i pondered the existence of fate, luck, destiny, coincidence and all those things human beings will always ponder....

i also began to wonder how many other sequences of events i've initiated, and lives i've impacted accidentally and without even knowing...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...