Thursday, December 3, 2009

the tv critic
















☆ jerry and i have started watching 'V', the new tv series that's apparently a remake of the 80's original, but i never saw it in the 80's. we got our first television in 1987, a little black and white one, and the only thing we were allowed to watch on it were quality educational programs and star wars.

all my friends at school used to have big conferences about the latest scandal on 'neighbours' and i was so jealous that i couldn't join in. i remember seeing my first madonna music video at a friend's slumber party and being mesmerised! my parents approved of us watching 'play school' but not 'sesame street' because it was american and they were dead against americanisation of the australian culture. the only times i ever ate mcdonalds (or fast food at all i think!) as a kid was at friends birthday parties. our school lunch-boxes were filled with wholemeal salad pita wraps, some nuts and an apple. i was always the only one in my class with a note excusing me from vaccinations and from religious education (when that was still around)... and my little friend's were always shocked that my parents weren't married, that i was born at home and had a 'placenta tree'. i grew up feeling quite different... and special in a novel way.

mum and dad got over the tv thing eventually. they probably got bored of educational programs. anyway their early censorship left me believing myself to be somewhat of a professional tv and movie critic. shows that are below my quality level get ripped to shit. sometimes jerry threatens to turn off a movie midway unless i stop criticizing the b-grade acting and non credible plots and story lines.

i normally never like american tv series (with the exception of sex and the city and maybe some others) and i predicted that 'V' would go into the bag too, but actually its quite good. the 'alien invasion' concept is pretty interesting... and thought-provoking. there has to be some other type of similar life-form out there somewhere- the universe is too big for there not to be. the problem is they'd have to be pretty smart and sneaky to get into our air-space without being shot down, like all the other ones that i found on google, which may or may not be scams and conspiracies and that may have been coming in peace to give us new technology and cure our diseases... or to kill us all and invade our planet... who knows?

;o)

7 comments:

  1. We tried very hard to make you special and succeeded! A lovely little nostalgic glimpse of the past- love it! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember "V". I watched it with my dad. It was shocking for me. I was still little, so I couldn't understand everything. But I enjoyed watching it. My parents allowed me to watch western movies and TV shows. But they didn't let me watch Japanese TV shows. Weird... So I was left out at school too. Hahaha. I'd love to watch new "V"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahah!!! no japanese shows?? that's hilarious! you should download V.. its pretty good! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna! I remember watching V, i think i was like 4 or 5 years old... and back in those days the show was pretty scary... since they would swallow the rats and peel them selfs off... like a snake... I wanted to watch that show this time just to remember the old times... but then i thougt that it was to much TV since I already watch Desperate Housewives ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the new is nothing like the old. i struggled to sit through the first episode of the re-make, but maybe i shoulda stuck it out?? and the original... omg.... going back to it now... it's like star trek and dynasty combined!!! don't spoil the memories!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha ha... they saved our placentas when we were born and planted them with fruit tree seedlings so that the tree fed on the nutrients from the placenta...
    i remember they even had hippy friends who ate the placentas in stews!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...